Over the past few decades, increased automation has influenced the welding process. For instance, mechanized welding systems like orbital welding improve productivity with enhanced speed, control, and precision. Additionally, orbital welding components like weld heads and monitoring systems have made it easier for welders to work from remote locations while still visualizing the weld pool and maintaining complete control of the weld parameters. With all of this in mind, it is important to ask, “What are the work conditions for an orbital welder?”
Orbital welding provides the flexibility that allows welders to operate in a wide range of working conditions. These conditions may range from production to direct welding process observation to weld monitoring through a remote vision system. With multiple monitoring technologies and increased ergonomic benefits, operators can focus on minute details and enhance the quality of their high-specification welding.
Work Conditions for an Orbital Welder
What are the work conditions for an orbital welder? The short answer is, “It depends.” For pipeline systems, welding may need to be performed in remote locations in outdoor settings; however, local facility piping systems may require welders to work in confined spaces. Some welding applications, such as stainless steel welding, may expose welders to hazardous fumes and gases. Specific weld applications, materials, and work locations will comprise the working conditions for an orbital welder.
While automated orbital welding has made the welding process easier and safer for welders, the process continues to rely on the welder’s judgment of the puddle and their ability to make necessary optimizations. Described below are two key ways that automated orbital welding can leverage welder judgment.
- Welding technicians may stay on the production line to directly observe the weld in real-time as the automated welding machine carries on the process. This direct monitoring allows operators to study the weld pool and movement of the weld head to make necessary optimizations on the spot.
- With a remote monitoring system, weld technicians can be located remotely in a comfortable space monitoring the weld head movements and weld puddle up close through a digital vision system.
Additionally, in either of these work settings, the power supply can be stationed anywhere in the facility and weld parameter optimization can be performed with remote pendant control.
Advantages for Orbital Welders and Welding
Employing an orbital welding machine can introduce a range of safety benefits.
- An automated system spares weld operators from experiencing awkward positions and tight spaces where fume and radiation exposure could be high.
- A monitoring system allows operators to study the puddle in high resolution without exposure to weld flash and flames.
- Without having to manually perform the weld, operators can stay safe from sparks and splatters that may result in burns.
- The use of a remote pendant further increases safety by minimizing otherwise frequent trips to the power supply.
The health and safety benefits described above translate to reduced fatigue among welders. The ability to perform work away from hazards and make real-time optimizations enables welders to achieve greater precision. Additionally, automated weld heads with a visual monitoring and data acquisition system provide on-time error analysis and remote pendant control. These features allow instant parameter optimization that boosts efficiency and accuracy in the welding process.
Building a Safe Working Space for Welders
In different operating environments, orbital welding allows welding operators to adjust their workspace settings. This can be immensely helpful when welders must perform complex welds that can pose risks to their health and safety. An orbital welding process can also be useful when performing long-span pipeline welds that can induce fatigue in welders. By leveraging the consistency, control, and repeatability offered by orbital welding, weld operators can perform high-specification welding while ensuring safe working conditions.
Arc Machines, Inc. offers a wide range of orbital welding solutions to ensure safe and productive work conditions for an orbital welder. For product inquiries contact firstname.lastname@example.org. For service, email@example.com. Contact us to learn more about orbital welding accessories